Monday, August 6, 2007

Welcome to Shop Etsy!

I first learned about Etsy a couple of years ago, though I only knew of it in passing. On crafty message boards all over the internet, it was always mentioned as a great place to go to sell your crafts.

I don't know what took me so long to get my own shop going.

I joined Etsy in late November of 2006--a little too late to get in on most of the Christmas rush, but early enough to get a few sales before Christmas. Regardless of sales, however, I was pretty well hooked from the moment I actually visited the site. For me, it wasn't really all the super neat applications that the site provided. It was much more about the ability to sell my crafts year round, rather than only at holiday craft fairs.

As I spent more time on Etsy, I found my second favorite thing about the site--the sense of community that it had developed. Until very recently, I had never met any other Etsy sellers. Despite that, there were still fellow sellers that I felt like I had gotten to know, through their shops, the forums, and the chatrooms.

I moved to Seattle recently, and found that there are plenty of other Etsy sellers here. A bunch of us have gotten together to revive the Seattle Street Team, which we now call EtsyRain. (Hold that thought, I'll come back to it momentarily).

Crafting is only one of my passions. Another of my passions is writing. Around the same time I started selling on Etsy, I also started writing for a few paid writing sites. I'd like to think that my writing, particularly my writing for the internet, has improved in the past 10 months.

And then we get to the junction of my passions, and we discover the purpose behind this blog. I've decided that I am going to start writing about Etsy. More specifically, I'm going to start writing about the people and the crafts that make Etsy one of my absolute favorite websites. Starting with the ladies (and gentlemen) of EtsyRain, this blog will examine shops and sellers in detail.

My goals in all of this? To help my fellow crafters reach a new audience, one that they might not have otherwise reached. To bring new buyers (and sellers) to Etsy. To improve my writing skills even more. And, of course, to have fun. :)

No comments: